5 EXERCISES TO PROTECT YOUR SPINE
We know it’s tough right now for everyone to do things that build and protect their health and their spine.
With more sitting, computer time, desk work… our spines are definitely taking a beating.
Now’s a great time to try out those desk-bound exercises we talk about all the time… you know, the ones that you’d like to do, but feel embarrassed to try with all your coworkers watching?
Now’s your chance to try them out, find the ones that really help you, and lock in the habit so that when you go back to the office, it won’t matter what they say!
And even more importantly, protect your spine, and limit any damage until you can get back to your regular check-up schedule.
Here are 5 simple exercises you can do right now at home to protect your spine:
- Sitting or standing
- Stick one straight out, thumb up
- Keep gaze on thumb nail
- Rotate arm to one side with a 45 degree arc, following thumbnail with eyes
- Keep shoulders straight, rotation is in the neck
- Repeat 10 times each side
- Sitting or standing against a wall
- Bring arms straight up and straight down against wall
- Keep shoulders back
- Repeat 10 times
- Lie on back, knees bend, feet flat on floor
- Squeeze glutes and drive hips toward ceiling
- Slower lower hips to floor
- Try one leg at a time to make more difficult
- Repeat 10 times
- On all fours in tabletop position
- Keep spine neutral
- Raise arm straight out and extend opposite leg back
- Repeat 10 times on each side
- Lie flat on stomach
- Place hands flat on floor below shoulders
- Press arms and hands into the ground, pushing body up and away
- Press hands into ground and body up and away higher to make more difficult
- A variation is the Superman Pose, holding arms back by sides while lifting legs off the floor
- Hold for 3 sets of 10 seconds
Want to learn more about how we can help you improve the health of your spine and nervous system? Get more info HERE.
Dr. Derek Gallant has committed himself to helping others live the best life possible. After graduating from Wesleyan University, he received his Doctor of Chiropractic Degree from Life Chiropractic College West where he finished 2nd in his class. He is the owner of Beverly Family Chiropractic and co-founder of The Well Family Foundation. Dr. Gallant is certified through the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) in the Webster technique, an analysis focused on assisting pregnant women in a healthy pregnancy and natural birth. He has inspired thousands of people to take control of their own health using the Life By Design method. Apart from full time practice you can find Derek at the parks and coffee shops around Beverly with his family, training hard at the gym, or at the beach surfing.